About every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood. That means, in the time it’s taken you to read this, someone has needed blood.
But although nearly half of people are able to donate blood, only about 5 percent actually do. This can result in blood shortages for hospitals.
WestGate Church is partnering with the Stanford Blood Center - which provides blood products to four local hospitals and is a recognized leader in the field of transfusion medicine - to ensure that our local bank of available blood and blood types can provide life-saving transfusions to patients in need.
Give blood. You could literally save a life.
FUN BLOOD FACTS:
DID YOU KNOW...
- Blood is a living tissue composed of blood cells suspended in plasma.
- The cellular elements -- red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets -- make up about 45 percent of the volume of whole blood. Plasma (which is 92 percent water) makes up the remaining 55 percent.
- Blood accounts for approximately 7 percent of a person’s weight.
- An average sized adult male has about 12 pints of blood.
- An average sized adult woman has about 9 pints of blood.
- When you donate blood, your body immediately begins replacing the donated blood volume, so you can safely donate as often as 6 times a year.
11am - 5pm
SOUTH HILLS CAMPUS THEATER
NOTE: use WestGate's sponsor code of 2354